Gestational Diabetes But Losing Weight
I used to constantly obsess over losing weight: what to eat, what not to eat, how I looked in the mirror each day. I loved cheese, but I suffered from extreme feelings of guilt whenever I ate anything that would make me gain weight. I tried low-carb diets like Atkins but didn’t experience any long-term sustainable benefits. I had chronic constipation and severe allergies; if I skipped my allergy pill even one day my whole body would break out in hives.
Then, three years ago, during my last pregnancy, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My insulin dose kept growing every week. I got scared for the well-being of my unborn child and for my own health, and I came across some information about how a whole-food, plant-based lifestyle helps people regulate insulin and even reverse their diabetes.

I was a bit apprehensive at first, because I’d heard people criticize plant-based diets for supposedly being deficient in calcium and protein, claiming we couldn’t get all our essential nutrients from plants (criticism I later discovered was inaccurate). But six months into my pregnancy, I decided to give it a try. Thankfully, my friends and family were supportive of my decision.
Obese Pregnancy: Weight Loss Tips
The results of the new diet were evident within one week, when my blood sugar normalized. Two weeks later I was off insulin, having reversed the gestational diabetes. There were other unexpected benefits, too, such as resolving the chronic constipation I’d been experiencing. My weight during my pregnancy was 185 pounds, one month postpartum I was 155 pounds, and 3 months postpartum I was 136 pounds.
Seeing the success I’d had with a plant-based diet, I decided to also eliminate oil, salt, sugar, and flour. Three months later, I’d lost an additional 20 pounds. It was an amazing feeling. Recognizing the power that I had over my body and health was like discovering that I had a superpower!
Today I have a clear mind, and my energy is through the roof. My skin looks better than ever. I no longer need to take allergy pills. I’ve gained lean, strong muscles. Never in my life have I looked as good as I do now!
Diabetes Prevention — Medical Weight Loss Clinic
I love simple cooking: I batch-cook beans, rice, and soups (especially split pea). My favorite thing to eat is veggies with homemade hummus. Over the last two years, I’ve become a passionate advocate for the power of plants. I created a YouTube show to get the information out there and let as many people know about this diet as possible.
Ready to get started? Check out Forks Meal Planner, FOK’s easy weekly meal-planning tool to keep you on a healthy plant-based path. To learn more about a whole-food, plant-based diet, visit our Plant-Based Primer.
By providing your email address, you consent to receive newsletter emails from Forks Over Knives. We value your privacy and will keep your email address safe. You may unsubscribe from our emails at any time.You’ve been making really good food choices so your baby has the right nutrients to grow healthy and strong. But, sometimes you treat yourself to a big bowl of potato chips or an extra piece of chocolate. You’re pregnant and you deserve it, right? The panic sets in when you find out you have an upcoming test for gestational diabetes. Could eating these treats give me gestational diabetes?
Gestational Diabetes Vs. Diabetes: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
If your glucose levels are too high, you may have gestational diabetes. Gestational diabetes is a type of diabetes that only pregnant women can get. Roughly 1 in 20 women have gestational diabetes during their pregnancy.

Here’s how it works: After you eat, your body turns the food in your stomach into glucose in your bloodstream. Your pancreas then chips in to help. It creates a hormone called insulin, which allows the glucose to go from your bloodstream and into your cells to give you a much-needed energy boost.
When you’re pregnant, your body needs more insulin than it usually does for this process to happen. If your pancreas can’t keep up, the glucose levels in your blood will get too high. This is gestational diabetes. Since your baby shares your bloodstream while in the womb, keeping your glucose levels under control will make sure your baby stays healthy, too.
A Review On Alternative Treatments Of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: Focus On Phytotherapy
Although there are common symptoms for type 1 and type 2 diabetes , such as excessive thirst, frequent urination, fatigue and unintended weight loss, there are typically no symptoms for gestational diabetes. But, there are a few risk factors that your doctor will be on the lookout for in your first trimester.
There aren’t any symptoms for gestational diabetes. All pregnant women are tested for the disease somewhere between 24-28 weeks. Here’s what you’ll do when you take the gestational diabetes test:

If your glucose levels are high, don’t panic. This just means you’ll need to schedule another appointment at the lab to take a longer glucose test so we can take a closer look. Here’s what to expect:
Gestational Diabetes Food Guide: A Comprehensive Guide With Low Glycemic Foods, Recipes, Meal Plans And Dietary Tips For A Healthy Pregnancy, Weight Loss, Blood Sugar Control And Baby's Well Being: Norman, Alice: 9798869904805: Amazon.com:
If your glucose levels are still high after this longer glucose test, then you’ll be paired with a diabetes educator and dietitian to develop a plan to manage your gestational diabetes.
Are you worried about the extra scoop of ice cream you had last night? Just because you eat a certain type of food doesn’t mean you’ll automatically get gestational diabetes. In fact, there’s no surefire way to prevent gestational diabetes. Even mothers who have had gestational diabetes in a previous pregnancy may not get it with a later pregnancy. But, women who are overweight and less active are more likely to get gestational diabetes. That’s why maintaining an active lifestyle and making healthy food choices throughout your pregnancy is important for you and your baby. When your sweet tooth hits, try fruit instead of a sugary snack. Instead of reaching for that soda, take a drink of water instead. Get out and enjoy the fresh air with a daily walk to stretch your muscles and clear your mind.
There are a lot of pressures on you during your pregnancy to do what’s best for your baby. One of the ways you can keep your baby healthy is by getting tested for gestational diabetes, and managing it if you have it. Look at it like a blessing in disguise and make the lifestyle changes that will benefit you and your growing family long after pregnancy.The views expressed in are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/VWH_Illustration_Risk-for-Gestational-Diabetes_Jessica-Olah_Final-2c3ff00deac9462f9bfe856e5f4c6a76.jpg?strip=all)
Does Gestational Diabetes Cause Type 2
Hi ladies! When we conceived I weighed 75 kilo which put me JUST in the overweight BMI range for my height. I didn't carry my weight in my tummy though, it was mostly in my legs and boobs (genetics!) so my family doctor has always told me this is not as dangerous as middle tummy weight and I shouldn't be concerned. At week 27, weighing 83 kilo, I was diagnosed with GD, but I was also going hypo every day as I was mostly eating meats and cheese (baby cravings). So the first week we added more carbs to my diet in smaller meals and all was good, but my fasting numbers were still terrible. I was put on slow release insulin at night and I've already had it increased once due to my fasting numbers not improving. Now I'm week 23 and just realized I'm down to 79.5 kilos. I've noticed my legs and face thinning out so I'm not too worried about the baby not growing...but how is this happening?! I actually expected to gain more weight with all the carbs I've added to my diet. Does insulin cause weight loss? Should I call my doctor ASAP? My next appointment is in a week. I've attached a photo for scale. I'm not at all scrawny but I've thinned out a lot since starting insulin and eating more carbs..I need an explanation :/
I don’t as diagnosed 2.5 weeks ago and I think my weight is staying the same vs going up. I was gaining quite a bit but I’m pretty sure I am not anymore. I think it’s just your body processing everything different. I am not worried about it as I know I am keeping my sugar levels where they need to be.
I was diagnosed about 4 weeks ago. I started out at a healthy BMI and my weight gain was already at the low end (up 6 pounds at almost 24 weeks). I haven't gained any weight since, and like you I seem to be losing weight everywhere but my belly and boobs, but my OB doesn't seem concerned since the baby is growing fine. I'm diet controlled, but I think I've read insulin can actually lead to weight gain. I've been tracking what I eat so I can track any trends in my blood glucose readings, and I think for me I'm just having a hard time getting any more than 2000 calories in a day on this restrictive diet--maybe that's the case for you as well. On the bright side, I guess we won't have much to
Posting Komentar untuk "Gestational Diabetes But Losing Weight"