Bipolar Meds Make You Lose Weight
People with bipolar disorder, regardless of medication, are, on average, heavier than the average person. This is likely due to sedentary lifestyles and poor dietary choices due, in part, to reduced income. I suspect it’s also because of untreated and undertreated people exhibiting major depression and never getting off the couch (something I know a lot about).
But then, of course, there are the side effects from medication and one of the big ones that effects people drastically is weight gain. Antipsychotics, in particular, can make a person put on a lot of weight and fast. (Tip: the antipsychotic that was newly approved in bipolar disorder, lurasidone, has been shown to be weight-neutral.)
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/best-antidepressant-for-weight-loss-1067613_fin-e679c1703a404ad28ab0acb2185873ec.png?strip=all)
And while many people work very hard to try to lose it, the fact of the matter is, most can’t. Losing weight is something that is tough in the average population let alone in a medicated one. So sometimes, acceptance is the only answer.
Lithium Weight Gain: What Is It And Why It Happens
Now, don’t get me wrong, if you’re determined to battle your weight then I’d recommend seeing your doctor and working out a diet and exercise plan that works for you. That’s your call and with enough work and persistence, I suspect you’ll experience some success.
But to everyone else who just can’t win the battle or doesn’t want to wage it, then I think acceptance is key.
Now I know that people judge themselves (especially women) by the number seen on the scale. It’s not like I haven’t done this or don’t understand this. But this is patently ridiculous. Letting a number that you only partially control run your life is like letting the type of car you drive run your life. Not everyone can afford a Lamborghini.
Bipolar Disorder And Weight Gain: A Multifactorial Assessment
And I know that this type of judgement tends to feed right into feelings of depression, which is a double whammy for people with bipolar disorder.
And while it’s true that just saying that this judgement is illogical doesn’t make the feeling go away, especially after years of judgement, if we want to feel better, it’s a feeling we have to stand up to and fight.
The thing is, most of the people around us accept our shape just fine. I’ve been through many dress sizes and I don’t remember a friend remarking on it even once. In fact, I don’t recall a lover commenting on it either. (Well, except one person who was concerned I was losing too much weight. Different thing.) While, in our heads, we think everyone is judging us for our weight, the fact of the matter is that is a self-centered view. Other people just don’t give it that much thought.
Finding Strength & Health After Bipolar Treatment & Weight Gain
So, knowing that there’s only so much of the number on the scale that we control, understanding that judging ourselves for it is illogical and admitting that other people just don’t care about it, the only thing left is acceptance. Acceptance of a body change isn’t easy, it’s a process, but it’s one that we can do and that we must do for our own happiness.
And if nothing else, remember this: sanity before vanity. I’d rather be fat and happy than skinny and depressed any day of the week.
Natasha Tracy is a renowned speaker, award-winning advocate, and author ofLost Marbles: Insights into My Life with Depression & Bipolar. She's also the host of the podcast Snap Out of It! The Mental Illness in the Workplace Podcast.The main reason is that medications can affect our appetite. My medication makes me crave sweets like never before. A woman I met in my bipolar support group had just been diagnosed with the disorder and subsequently put on a mood stabilizing drug. Within a matter of weeks she had gained 20 pounds. The weight didnt just suddenly appear. It happened because this woman couldnt stop her cravings for donuts.

Does Celexa Cause Weight Gain?
Another cause for weight gain is leading a sedentary lifestyle. I had to go on disability several years ago because I was too sick to work. When theres suddenly not much to do in your life, its easy to end up sitting in front of the TV and snacking all day. Or worse, spending your time in a depressed state and cant even get out of bed.
My first major weight gain was seven years ago. I was prescribed an anti-psychotic medication to help with sleep. I got a great nights sleep, but I also gained almost 50 pounds. I told my doctor I needed to get off the medication because my self-esteem had plummeted and I was feeling more depressed because of it.
I was desperate to lose the weight. Even though it was expensive, I decided to join a pre-packaged food weight loss program. I was working at the time so was able to afford it.
Abilify And Weight Gain: The 5 Things You Need To Know
In four months, I was able to lose all the weight I had gained and got off the program. I was taught how to eat right and make better food choices. I kept the weight off for several years.
Then mania took hold and I again found myself on a mood stabilizing drug that causes weight gain. Forty extra pounds made its way back to me. I knew how to eat right. I was just too vulnerable to other factors. And there was no way I could get off this medication. Ive been able to experience some stability lately because of it and I decided it was time I take control.

I cant afford a weight loss program so I decided to use what I know. In the past three weeks, Ive lost ten pounds.
Can Hydroxycut Help You Lose Weight? A Dietitian's Review
Basically I am counting calories all day and choosing foods that fill me. Protein is key. I eat six times a day.
Breakfast – Special K bacon, egg, cheese frozen breakfast sandwich, 250 calories. Small glass of Tropicana 50 percent less sugar orange juice.
Dinner – Sometimes Ill eat a frozen Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers meal, but mostly I eat what my family is eating, I just eat a lot less. We grilled hamburgers last night and I ate half a hamburger with a small amount of potatoes. It seems like it would starve you, but as you go along, your stomach adjusts to the smaller amount of food.
Bipolar Medication Weight Gain And Body Image Issues
Evening Snack – yogurt or a 100 calorie snack. The 100 calorie bag of microwave popcorn actually gives you quite a bit.

I wont lie to you. When I first started it was very difficult and I wanted to eat chocolate and potato chips instead of a banana. But then I looked at pictures of myself at the weight where I felt best and decided thats what I wanted more. I keep those pictures in my bathroom to remind me.
I also stopped drinking diet soda. It actually makes you crave calories. And Im staying away from my favorite pumpkin spice latte at the coffee shop. It could be my lunch and dinner for all the calories it has.
Can Omega 3 Fish Oil Help You Lose Weight?
Ive been forcing myself to move more too. I love riding my bike and Ive been doing it as often as I can while the weather is still nice. I went out to dinner the other night with my family at my favorite Italian restaurant. I made sure to fit in a bike ride that day to counter the extra calories. I only ate half my dinner and saved the rest. I was completely satisfied.
I must say its important to talk with your doctor first before adjusting your diet. Some mood stabilizing drugs are more effective when taken with food and sodium levels sometimes need to be monitored. Strenuous exercise also needs to be approved by your doctor.
To learn more about healthy eating and bipolar disorder, read the Supportive Nutrition chapter in our book, Healthy Living with Bipolar Disorder.

Bipolar And Weight Loss: How To Effectively Shed Pounds
Subscribe to our My Support Newsletter and receive messages of hope and management tips through our blogs and webinars, research updates, also learn about upcoming events, and more!
Posting Komentar untuk "Bipolar Meds Make You Lose Weight"