Losing Weight Hungryroot
Note I originally wrote this post after trying just one box. I’ve been using Hungryroot for over two years and wanted to update this review!
In the past, I’ve reviewed many organic meal kit delivery services, including Sun Basket, Daily Harvest, Green Chef, EveryPlate, Home Chef, Blue Apron, and Smoothiebox. So, I’m definitely not new to “meal kits delivery services” or what they typically offer and the minor nuances that differ between services.

That being said, I’m calling Hungryroot the ONE I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR! To say I was impressed with this service is an understatement. I’m now a raving fan and have been using Hungryroot 1-2 times a month for a solid two years now. That being said, it may not be for everyone, so let’s jump into the full dietitian’s review!
Hungryroot Review: Would We Order It Again?
Keep in mind I’m slightly biased when reviewing these companies because they do compete with my What to Eat? Weekly Meal Prep Guide & Meal Plans.Transparency is always important to me at Hungry Hobby, and if you came to read this post from a source such as Google or Pinterest, you might not know that. And I think it’s important that you do.
Note I was gifted a free credit to try Hungryroot, and after trying it and loving it, I signed up to be an affiliate. I’m so grateful they offered to gift me that first box because I’ve now been ordering boxes 1-2 a month for two years, and it’s still my favorite meal kit delivery service.
Hungry Hobby readers can click here to get 30% Off Your First Order of $99 + Choose Your Own FREE Gift For Life – Almond Chickpea Cookie Dough, a rotating selection of fresh veggies, or Premium Proteins!
Hungryroot Review (2022): Grocery Delivery Just Got Easier
When you sign up for Hungryroot, they ask you a ton about how your lifestyle and preferences. They even go in-depth for each type of meal for the day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner.) This way, they can get a feel for how many servings of each recipe to recommend and how many snacks they will recommend you purchase.
And the groceries section is set up so you can browse by aisle, category, or dietary preference. I’ve recently noticed a ton of new grocery items. And every time they add new grocery items, they ask you what your preference is on how often you would like the item included in your box.
So, I had seen advertisements on Instagram for Hungryroot before but wrote it off as “just another meal kit delivery service.” I keep telling anyone who will listen (friends and family) that they should really up their advertising game to emphasize the convenience factor they offer combined with SUPER SUPER clean ingredients. It’s impressive.
The Most Nutritious Meal Kits On The Market, Ranked
The amount charged per serving on Hungryroot varies on how many servings you order. The more you order, the less your cost per serving. This year it varies between $9.69-$10.29/per serving. I max out the number of servings at 16. (It looks like they raised prices around a dollar a serving from last year’s review, like everywhere else, I assume they are trying to deal with inflation.)
The setup above brings the total to $189.21/week. But if you decrease the number of servings of meals or change breakfast, fruit, snacks, or sweets servings, the amount will change. After you approve your meal setup, it takes you to the screen where you can make as many modifications as you want to your plan, recommend/feature meals, add/subtract sweets and snacks, etc. This changes the number of credits you get and the average cost per serving. When I played with the servings on average, here is what I roughly calculated the cost per each category to be:
It’s a credit-based system, $189.21/week gives me 87 credits. Each recipe and snack is assigned a credit number. You can go over your credit number if you wish and pay the difference. It’s not difficult to get your exact number of credits because many of the grocery items are just one credit. Here is my order for next week (as you can see, I rarely get snacks or breakfast items.) In the order below, the only groceries I got were 3 bags of carrots for one credit each. The rest all came with meals.

Review: Hungryroot Meal Kits
Pros: Within the signup process, Hungryroot asks questions about dietary preferences and likes and dislikes of certain food items. As shown above, it even asks you what types of meals you like for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. So the system does a great job of getting to know you and making recommendations based on that.
Also, as they add new items, they constantly ask you to rate how often you’d like to receive them (often, sometimes, never.) I don’t have a screenshot of this, but basically, each time you log in, if there are new items, it asks you to quickly update your preferences.
Over the last year, they’ve added a ton of filtering capabilities. When filtering, you can now filter by your recipes, recent groceries/recipes, dietary needs, protein, nutrition, spicy level, and cooking time. They recently added a filter for high protein (>25g) and low carb (<35g), which I love as these are major recommendations for many of the clients I work with PCOS, diabetes, weight loss, etc.
Hungryroot Meal Kit Review
Cons: You can not filter by Paleo, Keto, Mediterranean or other popular diets. Obviously, these are popular dietary patterns, so, unfortunately, these aren’t available. If you have a food allergy or intolerance that isn’t one of the major ones listed, hunting down all the ingredients that make up the ingredients in a recipe might be tedious. More on that below.
Pros:In the last year, Hungryroot has done a great job at providing clearer nutrition information and ingredient lists for their recipes (which used to be severely lacking.) When browsing a recipe, just click on it to see what ingredients it uses and what the nutrition facts are.

Hungryroot uses a ton of prepared items, like ready-made sauces, bean mixtures, etc. It doesn’t list the exact ingredients of each item within the recipe card, but if you need to double-check them or are curious, you can look the item up in the grocery section.
Hungryroot Review: Our Experience And Recommendation
I searched for the kale pesto in the recipe above in the grocery section, clicked on it, and immediately got information about it!
One thing you don’t need to check for is a clean ingredient list because they always have that covered. Real, whole food, no hydrogenated oils, artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors, or artificial preservatives.
Looking through the recipes, most of the recipes have a reasonable calorie level of 400-600. Some are upwards of 850. Most recipes are balanced with protein, fat, healthy carbs, and veggies. And we found the portion sizes to be ample, even when I was pregnant, and Mr. Hungry, who, as I’ve mentioned in the past, definitely eats HEAFTY portion sizes (6’2″ and very active.) Typically meal kit delivery services overload the carbs and provide very little protein and veggies, but I didn’t find this to be the case with Hungryroot.
Hungryroot Review 2020
Cons:As mentioned, it’s not super convenient to access the ingredient list for items with recipes. It would be nice if you click the item in the ingredient list of the recipe to see what’s in it.
Pros: Delivery is currently only available on Tuesdays in my area, but that’s fine with me. In the past year, I’ve only ever had a box delayed once. I was sent multiple notices about the delay and given information on what to do should any of the items be out of the temperature range (they weren’t.) The packaging comes separated with cold items separated from shelf-stable items. This allows them to use smaller boxes and less insulation. Compared to other meal kit delivery services, there was less plastic packaging of food items to dispose of overall.
There may be limited delivery day options in your area. Like any meal kit delivery service, there is a ton of packaging to dispose of (compared to going to the grocery store), including ice packs and a big cardboard box. On occasion, I get an out-of-stock notice, at which point the system automatically changes to substitute for the item out of stock. I can also go through and change this myself, but I’m adding it as a con because it’s slightly irritating.
Hungryroot Review: The Most Unique & Fun Vegan Meal Delivery Service?
Occasionally items come that have gone bad or are missing. I’ve mostly seen this issue with a couple of key items that I now steer clear of, such as the bell pepper and onion mix and sometimes the seven veggie stir fry. Inevitably the pre-cut onions don’t make the journey making everything else slimy and gross. I’ve noticed they’ve shifted away from even offering these items likely do to this problem. However, when it did happen, Hungryroot was happy to issue a credit immediately, with almost no questions asked. Same thing when items are forgotten or mispacked (meat packed on the top that should have at the bottom covered in ice packs. I know this drives some people nuts enough to cancel the service, but their
Posting Komentar untuk "Losing Weight Hungryroot"